Language

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

You CAN but SHOULD You?

I've often said for years that just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean that you SHOULD do it.  Sadly, I've heard so many women (both single and married) over the years talk about how they don't need a man to do anything for them or how they refuse to be a housewife because they can do anything a man can do.  A lot of women even go as far to say they don't need a man.  For some reason they think it's cool to go around telling their significant other/spouse, "I don't need you, I'm only with you because I want you".  Um, I'm sorry but if I ever was considering marrying a man that felt the need to tell me he didn't need me, I wouldn't even waste my time with him!  I can't even describe how horrible I would feel if we were actually married and he told me that!

It's really sad that most women (and men) mistake equal rights to mean equal roles. Feminists or people who have been influenced by them, often say things like "This isn't the 50's" or "It's the 21st century" when someone embraces and promotes traditionalism.  You have no idea how many times I've heard that in my life, especially when telling people there is no way I'm "shacking up" LOL!  They look at me like I'm crazy because clearly everyone in the 21st century lives with someone before they marry them, right?  Um, no.  I've said it many times and I will continue to say it...what has always been right doesn't suddenly become wrong just because of the year/century.  Also, what has always been wrong doesn't become right just because society says it is.

It is not a coincidence that the family unit was very strong and marriages lasted for lifetimes before feminism took over.  The biggest misconception is that women didn't work because they couldn't.  That is not true.  Women could work and they DID work, they were just expected to quit once they got married.  There were even women who got jobs to support the family if their husband fell ill or was injured.  The women got out there and worked until their husbands got back on their feet.  Once their husbands were able to work again, the women just simply quit the job. 

Men and women having separate roles (that were equally respected) was the nature of marriages for thousands of years.  It worked perfectly fine (at least for most) but now society wants to tell everyone to fix something that was never broken.  Due to this, strong and stable families are now almost nonexistent.  Most people either divorce or have children without being married at all.  It's sad actually, because when children grow up without seeing any examples of a strong marriage/family unit, they have no clue what to do to have one themselves... then the vicious cycle just continues.

So equal rights? Yes!  Equal roles? No way!  As women, we can do many things but that doesn't mean we should. 

I'll wrap this up because I don't want it to get too long, but I will do a part 2 in a day or so and share with you the links of 2 articles that I've come across that I think are really written well about this subject.

Your comments are always welcomed.  Have a fabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments. I would love to hear from you!