Language

Friday, May 31, 2013

More CRAZY Talk!

After the last post about the water bubbler (Click here to read) , I had to share one other term we use here in Wisconsin that just completely throws people for a loop.   TYME Machine.  Yes, pronounced like time machine. 
A tyme machine is an ATM.  TYME stands for Take Your Money Everywhere, and has been here in Wisconsin since the 1970’s. 

Tyme Machine's logo



I will never forget when my family and I went to Detroit, MI about 14 years ago.  We were checking into the hotel and my sister asked the receptionist, “Do you all have a tyme machine close by?” Obviously, the receptionist thought my sister had just asked her if there was a time machine (going back in time) nearby.   So of course the lady gave my sister the craziest look, with a frown on her face and shook her head no.  I was only 17 years old at the time, but I knew that most people didn’t know what the heck that was.  So after the receptionist looked at my sister like she was crazy, I just politely told her we’re looking for an ATM.  Immediately, her whole demeanor changed and she politely said, “Oh, there’s a bank right across the street”. 
I could just imagine her telling all of her coworkers that evening that some crazy lady asked where she could find a “time machine”.  LOL!
I just thought I’d share that with you.  Feel free to share any regional dialect that you use, as well.

1 comment:

  1. This is so funny! This just happened to me like last week. We went to Appleton and my husband had to find an ATM. I was telling my girls that we had to find a TYME machine....they watch Big Bang and said - WHAT???...I had to explain what it was. So, I get ya on this - Only in Wisconsin! Blessings from Ringle.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments. I would love to hear from you!